The accumulated anticipation of hearing this much-awaited album ended in the same warm-and-fuzzy way that a good glass of ‘atay’ (Moroccan mint tea) ends —making you long for more of its sweetness. A union of two worlds, transmitted through the universal language of music, the songs of this album have left me with the overwhelming feeling of inspiration and appreciation for what I consider a fantastic blend of the two ‘Maghribs’ —western Africa or specifically Morocco, and the “West”, as in America or specifically the Westcoast. The music of these two artistically rich regions has been blended into a dynamic union that will surely touch the soul of the one whose ears hear it. Delivered with an unquestionable passion and expertise, it is clear that this album is an expression of talent as well as a sincere expression of sharing. A gift of past and present, the marriage of genres has encapsulated the traditional Gnawa styles of Divine praise whilst delivering perfect amounts of contemporary edge, leading it’s listeners to taste the healing potency of trance without steeping them in that dimension. This unique album is a work of art that deserves undivided attention from your mind, body and soul. Enjoy.
released September 1, 2004
All songs Produced ,Recorded, and Mixed by Anas Canon at Remarkable Current Recording Studios.
1.Yaki Yassir- all music and vocals by Sidi Yassir
2. Bil Mustafa- produced by belikeMuhammad. Vocals and gumbri by Sidi Yassir. Saxophone, cymbals, and guitar by Micah Anderson. Drum programming by belikeMuhammad.
3. Salam Alykum- produced by belikeMuhammad. Vocals and gumbri by Sidi Yassir. Drums, bass, guitar, and percussion (brushes, hand claps, talking drum, triangles, claves, and woodblock) by Rhamis Kent. Trumpet by Khalil Shaheed.
4. Ja’a Al Matr- produced by belikeMuhammad. Vocals and gumbri by Sidi Yassir. Piano, guitar, and saxophone by Micah Anderson. Additional vocals and dumbeck by Bouchaib Abdel-Hadi. Poetry by Kathy Espinoza. Drum programming by belikeMuahmmad.
5. Sala a Nabi- All music and vocals by Sidi Yassir
6. Tleb Rabbi Tsibu- Vocals and gumbri by Sidi Yassir. Vocals, oud and dumbeck by Bouchaib Abdel-Hadi.
7. Miskeen- Produced by belikeMuahmmad. All vocals, karkaba, and gumbri by Sidi Yassir. Drums by James Kelly. Piano and Fender Rhodes by Rudy Wongozi. Guitar, by Micha Anderson. Flute by Russel Appleyard. Drum programming and percussion by belikeMuhammad.
8. I Heard- produced by belikeMuahmmad. All vocals and oud by Sidi Yassir. Trumpet by Khalil shaheed. Guitar, bass , conga, percussion, and saxophone by Micha Anderson. Drums by James Kelly. Drum programming, percussion and Fender Rhodes by belikeMuhammad.
9. Forgetful World- Produced by belikeMuhammad. Vocals and oud by Sidi Yassir. Additional vocals by Tyson and Ishaq of 11:59. Bass and saxophone by Micah Anderson. Cuts by March. Trumpet by Khalil Shaheed. Drum Programming by belikeMuhammad.
Mastering Engineer: Muhammad Ghazzali
all rights reserved